Sunday, January 26, 2014

University of the Sunshine Coast visit


This weekend I took the train up the the Sunshine Coast to visit Dr. Leslie Brooker. Among other things, Lesley is an expert on chiton radula biomineralization. Aside from giving me innumerable pieces of good advice on my research, Lesley hooked me up with a large body of literature on molluscan biomineralization and pointed me towards some good books on chitons that I need to get my hands on.

Chitons of the World is a really lovely book
illustrating hundreds of chiton species

Lesley and her husband Keith (and pup B.J.) took me to a rocky platform near Beacon Lighthouse. Lesley told me this was a good place to find Acanthopleura gaimardi, a species I'm considering working on, and she wasn't kidding. Nearly every crack in the rock was full of them! We also found several specimens of Onithochiton and one specimen of Callistochiton.

A crevice full of Acanthopleura gaimardi

Callistochiton sp.

Onithochiton sp.

No comments: