Thursday, January 23, 2014

Epimenia - but not the one you think

There comes a time in every scientist's life when he or she has to start thinking about the important things. Not "What questions do I want to ask with my research?" or "What is the utility of my research to mankind?" but "What naming scheme am I going to use to name the computers and equipment in my lab? Animal genera? Star Wars characters?" I was recently faced with this important question.

Meet my snazzy new laptop, Epimenia (animal genera it is). I do a lot of bioinformatics and wanted to have a Linux-based laptop that is powerful enough to handle most of my data processing (but not assembly or phylogenetic analysis) needs. I decided to go with the System76 Kudu Professional. The base model isn't bad but I opted to go with an Intel Core i7-4800MQ Processor (2.7 GHz 6MB L3 Cache - 4 Cores plus hyperthreading) CPU, 16 GB of RAM, a 480 GB solid state mSATA boot drive, and a 1 TB SATA III hybrid hard drive with 8 GB solid state buffer. This thing is fast and so far I'm loving it!



I'm currently using this bad boy/girl (solenogasters are hermaphroditic) to implement the internode certainty and tree certainty indices of Salichos and Rokas 2013, which I plan to include in our upcoming paper on Aplacophoran phylogeny based on transcriptome data. More on that soon!



No comments: